• Prepare for Your Student's Health at School

    Washington state law (https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=28A.210.320 ) requires that school staff and parents/ guardians plan together for the safe care of their child throughout the school day.

    • Health issues:Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning at school to the school nurse. You can contact the nurse directly by phone or e-mail. It is important you update your student's health registration form once a year so the school nurse is aware of any new or ongoing health concerns. 

    Life-Threatening Health Conditions

    • Emergency Care Plans for School: Washington State law requires that when there is a student with a known life-threatening health condition, schools must be prepared for a life-threatening event on the day the student starts school. Please complete the appropriate Emergency Care Plan (ECP) forms and sign in any needed medication(s) with the school before your child's first day of attendance. If you have questions, please call your school nurse. These documents need to be completed EVERYyear prior to the start of school. ECP's contain the most current information and need to be submitted along with needed medication(s) and supplies before the first day of school (see special note below for student athletes). Examples of ECP's include: Anaphylactic allergies, Asthma, Diabetes, and Seizure disorders

    • Student Athletes:If your student is an athlete, and practice begins prior to school starting, the athlete will need to have BOTH their completed ECP's and their needed medications at school/ practice BEFORE they are cleared to start. In addition, prior to attending practices or try-outs, all participants must have a sports physical on file. Physicals are good for two years.
    • Medical treatments at school:If your child needs a treatment at school, such as: G-tube feeding, insulin calculation, clean urinary catheterization, suctioning, nebulizer treatments, dressing change, please make sure to notify the school nurse.

    • See "Forms" Tab For:Emergency Care Plans

    Medications at School

    • Medication at school:If your child needs to take any type of medication during the school day, even if it’s temporary, a "Medication Authorization For School" form must be completed by the child’s health care provider and signed by the parent/ guardian. Examples include: Over the counter medications such as Ibuprofen, Tylenol, cough drops, topical ointments, OR prescription medications like rescue inhalers, antibiotics, ear drops, eye drops, Epi-pens, ADHD medications, tube feedings, etc. A new medication authorization is required each school year. It does not carry over to the next school year.

    • See Forms Tab For:Medication Authorization for School Form

    • Medication Drop off/ pick up:Medication must be delivered to school and picked up by the student’s parent/ guardian or other responsible adult. Please allow time for school staff to count pills/ capsules with you. Exceptions may be made for students with potentially life threatening health concerns who "self carry" their medications. 

    • NOTE:For students who self-carry emergency medications; It is always recommended to keep a "back up" supply of the ordered medication in the school office in case your self-carrying student forgets their needed medication(s). Students must have their medication accessible for ALL field trips, athletics, and school activities. If they do not, the student will not be allowed to participate. Parent/ guardian will be notified of need to provide medication
    • Storage of Medications:All medication must be in their original containers. Prescription medication must be in the original container labeled by a pharmacist or physician with the correct name of the medication, dosage, route given, and time for school
      administration. Over-the-counter medication must be in its original container, labeled with your student’s name. Please do not send in baggies, the medication will not be accepted.