Allergies and Food SubstitutionsStudents with Special Nutritional NeedsStudents requiring fluid milk substitution do not require a dietary prescription form. Freeman Nutrition Services will offer Ultra Soy milk for any student. However, a dietary prescription is required for students WITH a disability defined by USDA as follows:
· If a student has special nutritional needs, the following form must be submitted by the household, to the district:
o Dietary Prescriptions for Student WITH Disability This form must be signed by a licensed physician (for students with life threatening allergies or other disabilities.)
Substitutions for students who provide a dietary prescription form signed by licensed physician, may be accomplished through:
§ Offer vs Serve - This gives the student options of avoiding certain foods
§ Specific food substitutions per licensed physician
· Substitutions will be made only per licensed physician diet order.
Example: Celiac or gluten intolerance. Licensed physician must indicate on form above the specific food/beverage substitutions required.
· Ultra Soy milk that meets the nutritional requirements will be offered as a substitute for milk for any student. No milk substitution form required for this.
· Carbohydrate counts are provided for Diabetic students. The Nutrition Services Supervisor provides this information to the school nurse for Diabetic students. Menu nutritional analysis using Nutrikids computer software program provides this information.
· No “hidden” peanut or nuts are in home baked products or other menu items. Individual servings of peanut butter are served on occasion at breakfast. The breakfast or lunch menu will show a “nut logo” on the days when peanut products will be offered. Pre-packaged nut/ peanut products will not be purchased to the best of our knowledge. Labels will be read to identify pre-packaged “nut” products but ingredients of these products may and do change without our knowledge. Students should be encouraged to read labels also.
· A “NUT FREE” table is available for students with nut/ peanut allergies to eat at UPON REQUEST in the multi-purpose room.
If your child has food allergies, please fill out the above Allergy form to be submitted to the school nurse and Nutrition Services. We will need to have a signed form from their doctor stating the allergy and suggested food substitutions. You can print these forms from here or they are available from the nurse or Nutrition Services. The form will be on file in our department.
Nut AllergiesWe serve no “hidden” peanuts or nuts in baked products or other menu items. We do offer individual serving of peanut butter on occasion at breakfast. The breakfast or lunch menu will show a “nut logo” on the days when peanut products will be offered.