• 504

  • 504 Student Education Plans

    It is the school district's responsibility to advise parents of their rights and the rights of their children regarding notice, identification, evaluation, or placement of their child in relation to section 504. In addition, the district must make evaluation, educational, and placement decisions based upon a variety of information sources, and by a group of persons, including persons who know the student, the evaluation data, and placement options.

    All students have the right to:

    • Receive benefits from public education programs without discrimination because of his/her disability.
    • Receive a free appropriate public education. This includes the right to be educated with non-disabled students to the extent appropriate. It also includes the right to have the school district make reasonable accommodations to allow the child an equal opportunity to participate in school and school-related activities.
    • Be educated in facilities and receive accommodation comparable to those provided non-disabled students.
    • Be transported to and from an alternative placement setting, if placed there by the district, at no greater cost to the parent/guardian than would be incurred if the student were placed in a program operated by the district.
    • Be given an equal opportunity to participate in non-academic and extracurricular activities offered by the district.

    Parents have the right to:

    • Examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding your child"s identification, evaluation, educational program, and placement.
    • Obtain copies of your child"s educational records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny access to the records.
    • Request amendment of your child"s educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of the child. If the school district refuses this request for amendment, it shall notify you within a reasonable time, and advise you of your right to a hearing.
    • Request mediation or an impartial due process hearing related to decisions or actions regarding your child"s identification, evaluation, educational program or placement. You and your child may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you. 
    • File a grievance.

    For further information on 504 plans please contact Stacey Rawson at srawson@freemansd.org. You can also visit her staff staff webpage for additional information.